Thursday, April 27, 2017

Review: Jane Steele

Often as I finish books, I mentally classify them according to how much I like them.  One of my categories is "top books of the year" which I'm sure many other readers have as well.  It takes a lot to get into this grouping since I usually only choose a top ten.  I can say however, that this book will definitely be making it into this category.

Jane Steele hooked me from the very first sentence... 

"Of all my many murders, committed for love and for better reasons, the first was the most important." 

How can you not keep reading?

Described as a gothic retelling of Jane Eyre, this book is, in my opinion, the perfect combination of historical romance, mystery, and horror. Jane Steele, the main character, is a strong and engaging heroine who is also a murderer. We meet her when she is still a young girl and find that the joys and tragedies that she experiences during her childhood and adolescence shape who she becomes as she grows into a woman. She has few friends but truly cherishes the few people she allows to touch her heart. She doesn't tolerate those she cares about being wronged and as she ages in the story, the body count begins to rise.  I have to say that each person she ended completely deserved it and I enjoyed the anticipation as I waited for her to make her move.


Fabulous storytelling. I really enjoyed the author's style from the Jane Eyre quotes at the start of each chapter to the way she made me feel fear, loathing, anger, joy, and love right along with Jane.  I was rooting for her from the beginning until the end and I will definitely be buying a hardcover copy for my bookshelves.



No comments:

Post a Comment